New Director ID Requirement for Directors
From 1st November 2021 Company directors need to verify their identity as part of a new director identification number (director ID) requirement by ASIC.
A director ID is a unique identifier that a director will apply for once and keep forever. When you must apply depends on when you were appointed as a director.
A director ID is a 15-digit identifier given to a director (or someone who intends to become a director) who has verified their identity with ASIC.
A director ID:
- starts with 036, which is the 3-digit country code for Australia under International Standard ISO 3166
- ends with an 11-digit number and one ‘check’ digit for error detection.
Directors need to apply for their own director ID. It’s free to apply.
Directors will only ever have one director ID. They’ll keep it forever even if they:
- change companies
- stop being a director
- change their name
- move interstate or overseas
You need a director ID if you’re an eligible officer of:
- a company, a registered Australian body or a registered foreign company under the Corporations Act 2001 (Corporations Act)
- an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (CATSI Act).
An eligible officer is a person who is appointed as:
- a director
- an alternate director who is acting in that capacity.
You must apply for your own director ID to verify your identity. No one can apply on your behalf.
Shareholders, employees, creditors, consumers, external administrators and regulators are entitled to know the names and certain details of the directors of a company.
All directors are required by law to verify their identity with ASIC before receiving a director ID. This is important because it will help to:
- prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities
- make it easier for external administrators and regulators to trace directors’ relationships with companies over time
- identify and eliminate director involvement in unlawful activity, such as illegal phoenix activity.
When you must apply depends on when you were appointed as a director:
- Existing directors have until 30 November 2022 to apply.
- Directors appointed between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022 must apply within 28 days of their appointment.
- From 5 April 2022, intending directors must apply before being appointed.
If you can’t apply by the date you need to, you can complete an application of an extension of time to apply for a director ID If you have issues completing the form from the ASIC website.
If you don’t meet your obligations:
- there may be civil or criminal penalties
- you may be issued with an infringement notice.
Please contact your Xpress Super Client Manager on 1300 787 576 if you have any further questions about this process.
How to apply for your Director ID number
Step 1 - Set up myGovID
You will need a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength to apply for your director ID online. If you live outside Australia and can’t get a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength, you will need to apply with a paper form and provide certified copies of your identity documents. If you live in Australia and:
- Don’t have a myGovID, you can find information on how to download the app at https://www.mygovid.gov.au/set-up
- Already have a myGovID, you can apply for your director ID now.
Step 2- Gather your documents
You will need to have some information the ATO knows about you when you apply for your director ID:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN)
- Your residential address as held by the ATO
- Information from two documents to verify your ID
- Bank account details
- An ATO notice of assessment
- Super account details
- A dividend statement
- A Centrelink payment summary
- PAYG payment summary
Step 3- Complete your application
Once you have a myGovID with a standard or strong identity strength, and information to verify your identity, you can log in and apply for your director ID.
1. Click on this link to go to the ATO application site.
Enter your myGovID email and click login
2. Open the myGovID app on your phone and accept or entre the code
3. Tick the box, click next, confirm your details and submit.
4. Confirm your details and select Next
5. Select two questions, provide details and click Submit
6. Tick both boxes and click next
7. Fill in all required information and click next
How to apply if you cannot get a myGovID
If you can’t get a myGovID with a standard or strong identity strength, the best way to apply for a director ID will depend on your situation.
Apply by phone (Dial 13 62 50 then choose option 1 for assisting with the Director ID application)
You can apply by phone if you have:
- An Australian Tax File Number (TFN)
- The information you need to verify your identity. Please refer to this link, https://www.abrs.gov.au/director-identification-number/apply-director-identification-number/verify-your-identity
Apply with a paper form
If you can’t apply online or over the phone, you can apply using a downloadable form https://www.abrs.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-10/Application for a director identification number.pdf
This is a slow process and you will also need to provide certified copies of your documents to verify your identity. If you have issues completing the form, you can find help on the ASIC Accessibility page.